Make a Volcano
What You Need:
6 cups flour
2 cups salt
4 tablespoons cooking oil
plastic soda bottle
baking dish or other pan
2 Tablespoons baking soda
Takes about 30 minutes
- First make the 'cone' of the baking soda volcano. Mix 6 cups flour, 2 cups salt, 4 tablespoons cooking oil, and 2 cups of water. The resulting mixture should be smooth and firm (more water may be added if needed).
- Stand the soda bottle in the baking pan and mold the dough around it into a volcano shape. Don't cover the hole or drop dough into it!
- Fill the bottle most of the way full with warm water and a bit of red food color (can be done before sculpting if you don't take so long that the water gets cold).
- Add 6 drops of detergent to the bottle contents
- Add 2 tablespoons baking soda to the liquid.
- Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle. Watch out - eruption time!
- Chemistry is Cool :-)
- The cool red lava is the result of a chemical reaction between the baking soda and vinegar.
- In this reaction, carbon dioxide gas is produced, which is also present in real volcanos.
- As the carbon dioxide gas is produced, pressure builds up inside the plastic bottle, until the gas bubbles (thanks to the detergent) out of the 'volcano'.
- Adding a bit of yellow food coloring too will result in a lovely lava red-orange!